Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape Add this blog to my Technorati favorites

Thursday, January 14, 2010

India- Bangladesh Accord: A historical opportunity for North-East India

Bookmark and Share
Even though I was on a blogging sabbatical, I could not resist when I heard about the India-Bangladesh accord.

This is a historic opportunity for the North-East India that has lagged behind primarily because of geography. Readers may go through this article to understand how beyond the Chickens Neck area, a different world exists.
Prior to 1965 war, India had transit rights over East Pakistan. But even after 1971 they were not given.

I am not going into the details of the benefits to both countries as it has already been widely written. Here are two articles - 1 and 2 that sum it up. But ofcourse, there are no free lunches. India would need to pay high transit fees. This may also give higher bargaining power to Bangladesh vis-a-vis Water disputes. But is that really a price too much? I think not as economic growth could finally bring an end to the insurgency in the region.

No comments:

Post a Comment